April 1, 2012

Playhouse Curtains


Using scrap wood, my hubby built my little girl a playhouse a few years ago.
It actually started as a boy fort and morphed into playhouse heaven!




My girl is a lot like her mama and as spring has been warming up, she has been "nesting!"
She'll finish lunch and go out to her playhouse to "work."

One of her big requests was to somehow keep the bugs out!  (She's her mama's girl!)

I went to my local True Value expecting to buy screen for her windows, but I
found a way to get it for FREE!


Our local True Value repairs window screens, so when I asked them if I could
buy a yard or so of screen they asked what I needed it for.  When he realized that
I only needed it for a playhouse, he took some old screen pieces out of the screens
that he was repairing and gave it to me for FREE!


Then little girl asked for curtains.  Now, our backyard is like the great wind tunnel
so whatever I put on her windows will be torn to shreds by July.  I knew
that I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on the curtains.


I had a brainstorm to use vinyl flannel-backed tablecloths!  If I bought the largest size
and just cut it into fours...wouldn't that work??

That answer was YES!!  

I just sewed a pocket...not for a curtain rod, but for what I had on-hand...clothesline!


I ran some clothesline through the sewn pocket and attached it around a screw.




The total cost was $3.99....the cost of the tablecloth!

Did you notice the decorative "flowers" in the coke bottle?  She's a whole
lot like her mama!


13 comments:

LifeLessOrdinary said...

The curtains are too cute! Great idea using the clothesline to hang them on. I saw your link at COM Monday.

Shasta

Kathy said...

I think every little girl needs a playhouse! Great solution for the windows! They look great!
kathy

Unknown said...

That's great! I love the tablecloth idea! We've been working on getting our playhouse ready for the season too!

Sugarr2518 said...

What a fun print! I love that you used a table cloth for the curtains:)

Rachel E. said...

How lovely! My girls would love a play house. I would definitely put screens on as well.

Lynne said...

Thank you for posting this. I have been thinking of swapping out the curtains in the living room, and was looking for easy and inexpensive. I don't know if I want to use flannel-backed vinyl, but I bet I could find some fabric tablecloths at either garage sales, goodwill, or the clearance section of all kinds of stores. Thanks for the motivation to look elsewhere instead of purchasing ready-made curtains. Why are they so expensive??? : )

Crafty Mischief said...

Those curtains are darling! What a fun mom you are to dress up her playhouse!

Katie said...

"sew" dang adorable! If I was a little girl again i'd be in heaven with a cute little playhouse with curtains!!!

Katie said...

"sew" dang adorable! If I was a little girl again i'd be in heaven with a cute little playhouse with curtains!!!

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Super cute - what a great idea to use a table cloth too. Brillant.

Y B Normal? said...

Don't you love freebies? When I got my mat-cutting kit, I needed some mat to practice on. I went to a craft store that had a picture framing dept and asked them if they would sell me one sheet of mat. They said they couldn't, but directed me to sealed bags of mat trimmings that only cost $4. And the bags had all colors and textures. Score!

Suzy Myers said...

I love your choice of tablecloth. Very bright and sunny!

suzy

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing and I just spotlighted it! http://www.aturtleslifeforme.com/2012/04/sunday-monday-spotlights.html

(by the way, just realized I never replied to your last email! Didn't mean to stop the flow, just got caught up in Easter prep! Sorry!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...