October 12, 2011

Picture taking in the Poconos. . . .



Our family is on a mini-vacation in the Pocono Mountains.....we are staying at a friend's cabin and in exchange, we are doing some painting for them!  


We had a great day at Rickett's Glen State Park....it has tons of hiking and waterfalls.  The largest one was 94 feet.....it made its own wind!




We are having a blast hiking and I am learning how to use my Nikon D 3100.....


Have you been following any of The Nester's 31 Dayers?  I am following along My 3 Barbarian's 31 Days of Photo Tips....and I am loving them!!


On Day 2 she recommended Bryan Peterson's book Understanding Exposure.  I requested it immediately from my local library and have been devouring it!


Today, I wanted to try taking shots of "cotton candy" water....my only problem....I remembered the tripod, but forgot the attachment for the camera, so some of my photos are way blurrier than they should be.....you must shoot with a tripod!




To achieve the "cotton candy" water look.....you need to shoot at a shutter speed of about 1/2.  In my light, that meant that my f setting was about 22-29.  The slower shutter speed captures the soft flow of the water.


Compare it to this shot, where I had an open aperture ( f 5.6) and a fast shutter speed....






There's so much to learn about taking good pictures that it just makes my head spin....the fun part of this trip....just spending time with these monkeys....











How are you spending your fall?



Thrifty Thursday will be a little later tonight.....look for it around 11 pm EST!

2 comments:

Lil Mama Stuart said...

look at you getting all technical! ;) love Darcy's easy to understand tips.

love that first water fall picture, can't believe you did it without a tripod!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole,

Love your photos!

We used to live not far from where you are right now in Upper Mt. Bethel. Your camera is on my Christmas wish list, so I've been bookmarking Darcy's tips - so exciting! I'm a brand new 31 Dayer - and 3 month new blogger - have to admit it is harder than I thought - but much more rewarding as well (commitment, planning, creativity and writing). When I'm not whipping up posts about the library, I'm nature walking with my kids, enjoying Boise State Football on TV and reading Rifles For Watie with my son.

xoxo michele

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...