August 26, 2011

Make your own reading pillow.....



Let me first start this post by saying that I like to sew, but I do NOT like sewing machines......what should be an easy project turns into a monster because of thread tension and other various annoyances!!


So...if you have a machine that works, this is a VERY easy project!


I first saw this idea here at Southern Disposition.  I tried to find an IKEA duvet as inexpensive as her, but they are not that cheap anymore, so I went with a twin flat sheet.  The whole project then cost me under $10.00!!


I took my sheet and laid it longways or lengthwise on the floor. I then took 4 pillows and set them out so I knew where to cut off the extra length of sheet.




When you cut off your extra length you will be left with a raw (or unhemmed) edge.   You will need to fold-over that edge to hem it.



To hem, I just make a fold and iron it.  




I then "fold over my fold", iron, and stitch.






Now, take your sheet that is stretched out lengthwise and fold it into third.  Because you have folded your sheet in thirds, you will have created a pocket for you pillow....





I then grabbed my pillows and laid them out side-by-side again to measure where I needed to put my seams....each pillow will have it's own "pocket."




Pin a line against your pillow and then sew to create your pillow pocket...





You've now created a pocket to stuff each pillow into...if this is confusing to you, go grab a pillow sham off your bed.  




The back of this pillow looks identical to the back of your pillow sham if you've done it correctly.  You will just have 4 "connected" shams....



See...cute pocket!



Since I bought my 4 pillows and flat sheet at IKEA, the total cost was about $10.00....




....reading Berenstein Bears under the shade of a tree....priceless!

5 comments:

Erin @ In Between Laundry said...

Great idea! My four year old would love this--it looks like your little girl does, too! www. inbetweenlaundry.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Such a great idea! I wonder if pillow cases would work? Sew a few together...! I would even lay down on that and read. Probably need one for home and grandma's house!!

cre8ivesky said...

Cute cute! I would love to make a couple of these for the bookcase corner in our play area! Wish there was an IKEA closer, but thanks for using stuff I can get elsewhere if needed! Great tutorial! Hope you have a great rest of the weekend :)

Chef in Training said...

Nicole! I love this! Great job! It is so cute!


I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training Tomorrow! Plus there is going to be a fun giveaway too! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

printing services said...

just couldn’t leave your website before telling you that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...