December 8, 2010

Joy Blocks

Kathy at Dandelions and Dust Bunnies made these a few months ago and I just couldn't wait to make my own for Christmas!



Start with a 2x4 piece of lumber that you cut into squares....we just have these things around the house, so I didn't need to purchase one.  My husband saves every scrap of wood!


....I tried using the table saw, but quite honestly, that thing scares me to death....so I got my husband to cut the squares!  I just put my vinyl letter on the block and guess-timated how big I wanted the block.



Grab some red paint....mine was from Walmart!

Paint your blocks....you can even have your 5 year old help you!  It's that easy!



(Please ignore the hairbrush on my kitchen table....that's the 5 year old....)


.....buy some gorgeous vinyl from Jill at Utah Vinyl and apply to the painted block....



Add some sheer ribbon from Walmart......It took about a spool to finish one set of blocks.

They turned out exactly like I wanted them to!!


Total cost:  one 2x4.....free
red paint:  $0.97---1 jar could do at least 4 sets if not more....so count $0.25 for 1
vinyl:  $4.50 per set
ribbon:  $1.99 per spool

Total Cost:  about $6.75 for a gorgeous gift idea! 

(and my Mom made them without the ribbon and made them red and green....she also made a gorgeous set antiqued with glaze!)



3 comments:

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

They look great!!! I just love that vinyl and how it pops against the red. I think everyone should have a set. I love them.

berg4 said...

I really like these!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Love this set! And I love that you used red & white!

Hope you can come by for my Holly Bloggy Recipe Party on Thursday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...