November 16, 2010

Thanksgiving name card


This is not my original idea.....but it's been so long since I saw this idea on a blog that I have NO idea where it came from....so sorry....I am unintentionally plaguarizing!

I used boring construction paper so that I can differentiate between colors for you.....pretend that these are made from gorgeous contrasting fall-hued scrapbook paper....


Cut scraps of paper......it will depend whether you are making a centerpiece or a namecard as to how long you make them.  These are about 8 inches long and 2 inches wide.


I am just totally guessing as to the dimensions......I didn't measure! :)

Cut between 10-12 strips of each color.



My inner pumpkin will be the yellow....I've seen this done with the solid color paper on the inside and a pattern on the outside.  My outside pumpkin will be the green strips.  (I made my green strips too long, so I had to trim off an inch.)  You want the "outside" pumpkin strips to be about 1 inch longer than the "inside" pumpkin strips.

Really....I'm trying to be clear....



Punch holes in each side of your exactly-the-same-length stack of strips....(I didn't measure, mine weren't exact....my holes were off and I needed to trim again...I was rushing...I had like 5 minutes while my kids were outside playing tag!)



Put a paper fastener through one end of the strips.....your "inner" pumpkin color should be on the bottom of the stack of strips.



Put paper fasteners in the other holes....This time, do not stack the piles but keep the "inner" and "outer" pumpkin separate and put paper fasteners in each pile.


Take your "inner" pumpkin and begin to pull the strips apart to make your little pumpkin.....so cute!





Once your inner pumpkin is "fluffed" start to pull apart your outer pumpkin.  Here is where it gets tricky because you will need to slip your inner pumpkin into the middle and pull your "outer" pumpkin around it....




You can then put a glue dot (which I don't have) or a dot of hot glue (which I am running out of...) and press the green "outer" pumpkin onto the yellow "inner" pumpkin like this...



Now you need to take a piece of brown construction paper or cardstock  (mine is green because I am lazy!) and wrap it around a pencil to make the stem.


Glue it on with you desired adhesive....I still had enough hot glue to stick on my stem....



This is truly the next picture in my camera because exactly at this moment I heard....."Mom....we found a kitten!"



NO.....it is NOT coming in the house....... 

Add some burlap, jute, twine, leaves from your neighbors yard......and you have a centerpiece....



.......or....miniaturize (is that a word???) everything....add a beautifully printed label from your computer in gorgeous font (or a quickly scribbled name with a black pen) and you have a neat little namecard for your Thanksgiving table.....





Blessings!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...